Kathi Mandarin Oranges Cream Cake Mix - Authentic Schmandkuchen 16.2oz
AVAILABLE BY NOV 5 - PRE-ORDER NOWKathi Tangerine Cream Cake - Authentic Mandarinen Schmandkuchen can be made throughout the year. To make this cake you can use fresh or canned mandarines or tangerines. Make sure that you get unsweetened canned mandarines.
Schmand is not available in the USA. It is a rich heavy cream that can be substituted with sour cream and or half sour cream and cream cheese.
- Just add for the dough: 1 egg, 90 g Butter, and for the TOPPING:
400 g sour cream, 3 small cans of mandarines, weight each 175 g (drained)
- Made in Germany
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Low sugar content
- Find instructions, ingredients etc. in English on this page (in German on the package)
- IMPORTANT: When cake is done keep in fridge for at least 3 hours before serving
What is Schmand?
Cream that has been soured with lactic acid bacteria. With a 20 to 28% fat content, it is higher in fat than German sour cream (saure Sahne) with only 10% fat and thus it is less prone to curdle when heated. Schmand has a thick consistency and is used for dips, sauces and baking, most notably in the so called Schmandkuchen. American sour cream is made the same way as Schmand and works well as a substitute. Or use half cream cheese and sour cream.
300 g Bake mix, 160g topping mix
Good for a spring form of 26 cm (10 inches)
Baking Mix: Wheat flour, sugar, raising agents (disodium diphosphate, sodium bicarbonate), flavoring, table salt.
Topping Mix: sugar, modified potato starch E1414, skimmed milk powder, wheat starch, maltodextrin, salt, flavoring, carrot extract
May contain traces of hazelnuts and egg.
1. Drain mandarines. Keep the liquid.
Place baking mix, 1 egg, 90 g soft butter and water into a bowl, mix with a hand mixer until you get crumbles.
2. Use a form (10 inches), and layer with parchment paper or grease with butter and dust with flour. Press dough into the form and also around the rim (1 inch height).
3. For the topping mix 400 g sour cream with 350 ml mandarin liquid, then add the mix for the topping. Mix well until creamy. Fold in mandarines.
4. Pre-heat oven to 160 c of 375 F.
5. Spread topping on the dough evenly. Place on middle rack in oven. Bake for 50-60 min.
6. When done let cool off very well before releasing from form. Place on a cake platter. Let sit in fridge for at least 3 hours before serving.
About Kathi Baking Mixes
KATHI mixes are a testimony to the high quality, artisan German baking crafts, bridging the gap between German and North American baking traditions. These are the goodies that your grandmother used to bake on Sundays, with just the right quality, taste, moisture and texture, but without the fuss. Requiring just a few steps of preparation, Kathi mixes help the novice baker move beyond brownies, while offering time savings for accomplished cooks. KATHI mixes are available for cakes, cookies, tortes, muffins, biscuits and pizza dough. Plus, each mix features alternative recipe ideas on the package. From the award-winning innovator of cake mixes Kathi Rainer Thiele GmbH in Saxony Anhalt.
MINIMUM PURCHASE: $20.00
SHIPPING - USA ONLY
Shipping costs per weight will be calculated at checkout (UPS, USPS)
If you buy 3 or more baking mixes you will profit from a lower shipping rate.
Here is an Example:
3 baking mixes shipped to California will be $12.95 (East coast, midwest states less). If you order just 1 baking mix shipping it is at least $5.00.
For all questions see our Shipping & Return Policy
Share this Product
It would help if the ingredients were in cups and teaspoons etc. The product is delicious and took a little bit of research to get them mixed together correctly. My daughter in law is from Germany and loved this.